AERA Annual Meeting 2018
At the 2018 AERA Annual Meeting ice will host two events related to the AERA theme: "The Dreams, Possibilities, and Necessity of Public Education."
Together with the University Alliance Ruhr (UA Ruhr) and the German Center for Research and Innovation (GCRI) ice will organize a panel discussion and reception themed "Public Education at the Crossroads" on April 12, 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, at the German House in New York City.
The second event at the AERA Annual Meeting in New York will continue our successful series of German-American Seminars at the AERA Annual Meetings since 2013. We provide a space for North-American, German and international researchers to discuss their research and engage in transatlantic cooperation. By now we are regularly joined by a group of researchers from Finland, Canada, Austria, Cyprus, Switzerland, Great Britain and Australia.
For this year’s session we expect 45 registered presenters. Experts will discuss the interplay of public school systems, societal challenges, administrative contexts and governance structures, educational policies, practices and educational research with regard to various countries and educational settings.
We are going to have an international session with key speakers Hermann Josef Abs from the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany and Joel Westheimer, University of Ottawa and seven parallel roundtables. AERA participants are welcome to join our breakfast meeting and attend one of our roundtables on following aspects:
- School leadership and public school development – Is it about the position or is it about the person?, Chair: Rick Mintrop, University of Berkeley
- a) Refugees and migrants in public education systems, Chair: Lisa Damaschke-Deitrick, Alexander Wiseman, Lehigh University
b) Second Table on Refugees and migrants in public education systems.
- International Large Scale Assessments and their effects on policies, educational quality and research, Chair: Nina Jude, (DIPF, Frankfurt), Janna Teltemann (University of Hildesheim)
- Digital education policies and practices, Chair: Sieglinde Jornitz (DIPF), Sigrid Hartong (Helmut-Schmidt-University)
- The economization of education. Towards a Global Education Industry?, Chair: Marcelo Parreira do Amaral (University of Münster), Sabine Hornberg (University of Dortmund(
- Methodological workshop on translation processes in the field of education, Chair: Norm Friesen (Boise State University)